Join me for the ChickTech Mid-Summer Picnic!
“Meet and mingle with HS participants, ChickTech volunteers, and women and men excited about getting more girls and women into tech. Families (including children) are welcome. Please make sure each person is counted in your registration so we have an accurate count!
We’ll also have two fun activities! The first will be a soldering station, where anyone can learn to solder (or teach others to solder!). Soldering is a fun and useful skill, and you will love it! The second will be an activity creating a simple e-textile project (using fabric or felt to create an item that uses a small battery, sensors, and lights/sounds to react to the sensors–here are some more complex examples. This is going to be a really fun event! We’re excited, and we hope you’ll join us to celebrate summer, tasty food from Smokehouse 21, and of course women in tech. 🙂
Where: Powell City Park
When: Saturday, 27 July 2013 from 11 – 2:30pm
Softronic Saturdays at Lovecraft!
Dreaming of bike gloves that light up to keep you visible at night, or an awesome illuminated costume? Or maybe you’d like to add a bit of extra sparkle to your living room with a glowing throw pillow… Whatever project you have in mind, if you’re curious about the process of integrating electronics into fabric, this workshop is a great place to start.
We’ll spend some hands on time laying out a basic LED circuit and sewing it on to fabric using conductive thread. You’ll learn how to convert standard LEDs (and other electronic components) into sew-able ones, and how to use standard textile fastenings like zippers and snaps to switch your project on and off, plus lots of tips on how to make your project easier and make sure it lasts.
No prior electronics or sewing experience required. Conductive thread and electronic components will be provided.
Please bring: A bag or garment to modify – please choose something made of a non-stretch fabric.
Cost: Basic materials $5
You can add extra LEDs and supplies for a nominal fee
Since money is tight for many, there’s a pay what you can fee for the cost of the workshop itself.
Where: Lovecraft Bar, 421 SE Grand Ave Portland, OR 97214 (Look for the red door)
When: Saturday, 27 July 2013 from 4-6pm
- Sew Genius | STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math) Education Through Sewing (craftystitches.me)
- Softronics for Beginners (cacophonouscreations.com)
- Conductive Thread Bobbin – 30ft (Stainless Steel) (sparkfun.com)
- Knowing More On The Soldering Iron Tip (solderingirontip.wordpress.com)
- Solder- What is it? What does it mean?? (stonesoftheearth.com)
- Soldering popular at Elephant and Castle (southgatearc.org)
- Conductive Thread – 117/17 2ply (sparkfun.com)
- Pioneering Electronic Components And Prototypes And How Should They Be Developed? (electricalcomponentsblog.wordpress.com)